Mots Du Jour (Words of the Day) Jan 5, 2011
· Abaisser- To roll a dough to the desired thickness with the aid of a rolling pin
· Abats- Offal; internal organs of butchered animals sold mainly by stores called triperies that specialize in this.
-White Offal are sweet breads feet and brains.
- Red Offal are heart, lungs, liver.
· Abattis- The feet, neck, head, wingtips, liver, gizzard, and heart of poultry
· Accommoder- To prepare and season a dish for cooking
· Acidifier- To add lemon juice or vinegar to fruits, vegetables, and fish to prevent oxidation
· Aciduler- To make a preparation slightly acidic, tart, or tangy by adding a little lemon juice or vinegar
· Affuter- To sharpen the cutting edge of a knife by using a steel or sharpening stone
· Aiguillette- A long narrow slice of meat cut from the breast of poultry (especially duck) and game birds
· Aiguiser- See Affuter
· Allumettes- (1) A type of savory petits fours (long rectangles of puff pastry) covered with cheese or filled with anchovies. (2) Very thin French fries; Pommes Allumettes
Rules and Policies
Caviar project due Week 4 Monday 1/24 between 10-12 pages
Mots Du Jour
Test #1 Preview
Hot food served hot and cold foods served cold!
Fish lecture: Salmon, Tilapia, Sole, Trout, Snapper
Fatty and Lean fish, Salt and Fresh Water Fish
Round and Flat fish, Warm and Cold water
Research Caviar- Sturgeon with pictures of each fish and eggs with price per ounce, then expand to other fish, explain how to serve it, and eat it. Any fishing regulations which sea the sturgeon come from(Caspian sea) History of Caviar
Dish 1- Pork Loin with 3 veggies, sauce, garnish
Dish 2- Risotto parmesan with chicken stock and cheese
Dish 3- Lamb stew out of book page 243
Book- Everything. Every page given out and any notes. Typed.
Blanchir- Blanch- Partially cooked
Pocher- Poach- Kinfe tender
Sauter- Sm amount fat high heat
Rotir- Dry Season
Braiser- 1st step season, 2nd sear, 3rd veggies, 4th Liquid, 5th Oven
Griller- Fish- oil and flour before grill
Frire- Deep Fry
1 Cup of sauce per person.
Fish pg 433
Flat fish bones are lined up- 4 filets
Round Fish- 2 filets
Cold Saltwater Fish
Warm Saltwater Fish
· Sword Fish
Lean- White Fish
Cold Fresh Water
Warm Fresh Water
Rainbow trout is the only fish served with scales.
If you leave the head on a fish- Scale, defin and gills.